How Old is My Kitten?

Bookend bottle baby OrphanKittens990900_12copyrightYou’ve rescued an adorable little fluff ball. Before you can decide what you need to do next, you need to determine his age. A one-week old kitten needs a completely different level of care than a four-week old. Once you know his age, you’ll know if you need to stimulate him to potty or provide a litter box.

Please remember that this chart is only general guide. Every kitten is different. Some kittens open their eyes at three days. Some kittens wean themselves at three weeks, while others squeal for a bottle at 8 weeks.

Newborn to 7 days
A kitten will weigh 3 to 4 ounces at birth
Ears flat against head
Kitten can’t regulate his body temperature
Room temperature should be 85° to 90° F
Kitten is blind and deaf
Kitten can smell well enough to find mother’s nipple
Sleeps 90% of the time and eats the other 10%
Kitten should be fed 6 times a day
Cannot go to the bathroom without help. Needs private parts stimulated to potty

Day 3
Umbilical cord falls off

Newborn to 14 days
Crawls around

5 to 14 days
Ears open
Eyes open

6 days
Develops shiver reflex

7 days
Kitten should weigh 6 to 8 ounces
Hold head and chest up

7 to 14 days
Room should be kept at 80° to 85° F
Kitten should be fed 5 times daily
Kitten should weigh 8 to 10 ounces
Stands wobbly

14 day
Starting to coordinate his movements
Locates specific sounds
Stands up and crawls around
Begins to play and explore

14  to 17 days
Begins walking (probably wobbly)

14 to 21 days
Room should be 75° to 80° F
Starts to explore his surroundings
Kitten should be fed 4 times daily
Kitten should weigh 10 to 12 ounces
Tiny front teeth emerge

17 to 21 days
Poops and pee on her own

21 days
Really walking
Ears stand up
Swivels ears
Scratches with hind leg
Eyes starting to focus
Turns head toward sounds

21 to 28 days
Canine teeth (fangs) emerge
Pees and poops without help
Runs and climbs
Room should be kept between 70° to 75° F
Kitten should be fed 3 times daily
Kitten should weigh at least 14 ounces
Should start socialization with people and friendly cats

28 days
Room should be no cooler than 70° F
Laps milk replacer from a saucer and eats gruel or canned foods
Kitten should weigh at least 28 ounces
Playing with littermates

4 to 5 weeks
Lower molars emerge
Kittens begin to pounce
Runs around
Uses litter box

6½ to 7 weeks
Eyes change from baby blue to their adult color

7 weeks
Weaned

8 weeks
Upper molars emerge
Many vets will spay or neuter kitten

12 weeks
Ideal time to remove from mother

12 to 16 weeks
Permanent teeth emerge

5 to 6 months
Reaches sexual maturity
 

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2016 Dusty Rainbolt